Business and Communication Systems
GCSE Business and Communications Systems links the key areas of business with the practical use of ICT applications, which include word processing, spreadsheets, graphics, web authoring, presentation and databases. It is a popular subject here at The Halifax Academy and is a relatively new GCSE option. Students will get an opportunity to develop their understanding of how Organisations are structured and how they use ICT. In addition to this they will get an opportunity to develop their ICT skills which are transferable in any future job position attained.
Key Stage 4
What will my child learn?
It is a popular subject here at The Halifax Academy and is a relatively new GCSE option. Students will be provided with an insight of how organisations are structured and how they use ICT. It will also help them understand howthe key areas of business link with the practical use of ICT applications, such as word processing, spreadsheets and databases.
In Year 9 we ensure pupils are given the foundations needed to access the rigors of the GCSE specification.
What type of homework will be set?
Homework is weekly and will be approximately 30 minutes or more. Types of homework will include research, revision, tasks and exam practice questions.
How will my child be assessed in Business and Communication Systems?
In total there are three units to study:
- Unit 8: ICT Systems in Business – 1 hour written examination (40% of final grade)
- Unit 9: Using ICT In Business – 1 hr 30 mins on screen examination (35% of final grade)
- Unit 10: Investigating ICT in Business - Controlled assessment (25% of final grade)
Formal assessment will take place at the end of each topic (in unit 8 & 9). Throughout the topic pupils will be assessed using example key questions from past exam papers. Unit 10 will be completed during lessons over a fixed period during Year 10 (6-8 weeks) which is externally moderated.
How can I support my child’s learning at home?
- Monitor the completion and quality of all homework
- Asking them to explain their learning in schools and links to the next topic on the specification.
- Ensure they have a revision guide
- Encouraging a wider range of reading on the subject.
- Replicate a copy of their revision timetable and support them in order to stick to the times
- Be aware of formal examination times and revise with your child using mind maps, cue cards, websites and exercise books.
- Test them on the key facts before the exam
- Encourage them to attend Booster sessions
What can my child move onto with Business and Communication Systems?
Business and Communication Systems is a subject that can help the development of ICT skills and understanding of how Organsiations use ICT. The course can lead on to exciting and dynamic careers in Accountancy, Administration, Business Management, Human Resources, Marketing, Teaching, Business Analyst , Business Law, Economics and local government jobs.